My Blog List

Friday, July 2, 2010

Visiting Farmer John



Visited John Van Brunt on his farm in Carroll County today. A number of years ago and well before he retired as a psychology professor at the University of Maryland, John bought about 30 acres with a pond and an old farm house and raised sheep.

We visited John often when our children were small, and the farm was an excellent place for suburban kids to learn about rural living. John doesn't venture out to the city often these days, and we got out of the habit of going up there. Lately, though, I've been re-establishing the friendship and have been glad I have because he's a person of many interests and an all round good guy. A few years ago, he converted the farm for use by a group that acquires mistreated horses.
I brought a rifle because John would like to see a thinning of the local groundhog population, but they laid low and I didn't get a shot. We took turns shooting his new shotgun in one of the back pastures. I'm looking forward to visiting him frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment