My Blog List

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Upper Potomac Smallmouth Bass

This is about the time I usually start fishing this area because the water's warm enough to wade wet. I beached the kayak on a gravel bar on the Maryland side of the big island at Noland's Ferry, just into Frederick County. No luck on the surface, so I tied on a black and olive wooly bugger and started catching 10-12" smallies. Although small, each jumped when hooked and fought well on the six weight fly rod.

Action was pretty much over by afternoon, but it was such a beautiful day I stayed on the river anyway. In most places when you've waded out to mid-river and look upstream or down you see no sign of human creation, and the water, woods, and hills look much as they must have when Europeans first came. Today I saw great blue herons as usual, and I think I also saw an eagle. A beaver smacked water to warn me off his territory and groundhogs scurried near the bloat ramp.

Water levels low (2.82 at Little Falls and 1.05 at Point of Rocks), and air temps in the low 80's by afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment