My Blog List

Sunday, August 1, 2010

With Lou on the Upper Potomac


I usually fish alone, but it's sometimes more fun with another person providing they're the right type of person. Lou and I spent a few hours trout fishing earlier this year, and I thought we were compatible so I invited him to fish for smallmouth bass. Lou was no stranger to Potomac smallmouth fishing but hadn't done it recently, and I don't believe had used his kayak for this before.

We met up this morning at the Point of Rocks ramp, launched our kayaks, and paddled upriver. Fishing was very slow in the morning, just a few bluegills and no bass. After our lunch on a gravel bar, it picked up for me and I got a couple of bass along with more bluegills. Lou wasn't having much luck until mid-afternoon when he picked a small island to beach his kayak and waded towards the Virginia shore. There he found a promising pool and smoked them for about an hour including the best fish of the day, a 14" smallmouth.


Lou caught all his bass on a Zonker, and I had best results with a Shenk's White Minnow and a white and chartreuse Crystal Bugger.

Beautiful day on the river with good company. Water level was .83 at Point of Rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment