My Blog List

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Art in the afternoon, baseball in the evening

Yesterday, Pam dropped me off to take the Metro to Dupont Circle to join my art history class at the Phillips Collection which featured an exhibit by the American impressionist painter William Merritt Chase. Not surprisingly, the painting which most attracted my attention was titled "The Lone Fisherman".


For a painter classified as an impressionist, many of Chase's works show sharp detail in spots, such as the rocks in the foreground here. In the distance the single human appears small and isolated. I noticed that Chase's outdoor scenes invariably contained man-made items such as the breakwater jetty which dominates this picture.

After leaving the art museum, I got back on the Metro to travel to Nationals' Park to meet my neighbor Jim for a baseball game.


Harper homered in the bottom of the eighth to give the Nats a 3-0 win over the Phillies. Although very hot, it was a good day and certainly a full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment