My Blog List

Saturday, November 20, 2021

Geese families

This past spring I posted a picture of a Canada goose male and female along with their four goslings that were just born in the park. As usual, I watched the young geese grow up over the summer. Normally, when the geese are fully mature they become undistingushable from the rest that this year numbered about 25-30 by the fall. However, I began noticing that within the larger flock, there was often a subgroup of six, and I wondered if this was the same family that I had been observing as the young grew into adulthood. Although I'll never know for certain, this is certainly possible since I have read that the young geese often stay with their parents for up to a year after being born. I took this picture of what I think was the same goose family three weeks ago:
This second photo shows the flock one morning a week or two later:

No comments:

Post a Comment