My Blog List

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

So far this season

More or less in this order, I've caught the following species of fish:

Blue catfish
Striped bass
Brown trout
Bluegill
Crappie
Rainbow trout
Largemouth bass
Hickory shad

The last one came from a trip to Fletchers Boathouse on the Potomac last Friday where I hooked about a half dozen shad in two hours of fishing with a spinning rod and landed all but one.  One of the fish was quite large and may have been an American shad rather than a hickory.  I should be better than I am at distinguishing between these species just as I should have been able to determine whether the crappie was a white or black crappie.  When I'm releasing the fish, my priority is getting it back in the water without harm rather than close examination to determine exact species.

No comments:

Post a Comment