My Blog List

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Connie Chung hugged me tonight

...at the Symposium on Sports Journalism at the University of Maryland.

I've attended these before but this was the best. Connie was there because husband Maury Povich was the panel moderator, and the annual event is named for his father who was a sports writer for The Washington Post for many years. Tonight's topic was race and sports, and the panel featured Michael Wilbon, Bobby Mitchell, Darryl Hill (first Maryland African American football player), Scott Van Pelt of ESPN, and former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Afterward, I walked over to Connie and told her she could still be our Homecoming Queen. She looked at me and asked if I was there then (1969 she was the Homecoming Queen at Maryland). I said yes and she gave me the big hug. Maury came over and I told him I was flirting with his wife. He answered "Of course" which was a pretty good response I thought.

Oh, yeah. She also said that if she didn't color her hair it would look about like mine. I told her she would still be lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment