My Blog List

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Backyard Bamboo Project

When last summer's storms took out some trees, we lost a lot of backyard privacy. Even before then I started considering building a screen, and I liked the Japanese touch that bamboo provides. The Big Bambu art project we saw in New York was a final inspiration to get off my ass and begin.

My handyman, Richard, installed the 4 x 4 posts, and I ordered the two inch diameter eight foot bamboo poles and the lashing cord from an internet retailer in Pennsylvania. Then it was just a matter of cutting some of the poles for the vertical pieces and lashing everything together.




The project spread over a couple of weeks because I underestimated the amount of cord and had to place additional orders. I learned rope lashing and knots from the Boy Scouts 50 years ago but never before used those skills on such a large project. There will be some final touches, but it's mostly done.


Another Fall picture taken about a week ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment